Open as PDF
CONSUMER SAFETY INFORMATION
This appliance is intended for household use only.
This appliance is equipped with a polarized plug. This type of plug
has one blade wider than the other. The plug will fit into an electrical
outlet only one way. This is a safety feature. If you are unable to insert
the plug into the outlet, try reversing the plug. If the plug should still
fail to fit, contact an electrician to replace the obsolete outlet. Do not
attempt to defeat the safety purpose of the polarized plug.
A short cord is provided to reduce the hazard of becoming entangled
or tripping over a longer cord. An extension cord may be used if the
electrical rating is equal to or greater than the rating of the coffeemaker.
Use an extension cord rated 15 amperes or greater. Care must be
taken to arrange the extension cord so that it will not drape over the
countertop or tabletop where it can be pulled on by children or
To avoid an electrical circuit overload, do not use another high
wattage appliance on the same circuit with your coffeemaker.
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should
always be followed to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and/or
injury to persons, including the following:
1. Read all instructions.
2. Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles or knobs. Care must be
taken, as burns can occur from touching hot parts or from spilled,
3. To protect against electric shock, do not place cord, plug or
coffeemaker in water or other liquid.
4. Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by
or near children.
5. Unplug from outlet when either the coffeemaker or clock is not in
use and before cleaning. Allow to cool before putting on or taking
off parts and before cleaning the appliance.
6. Coffeemaker must be operated on a flat surface away from the
edge of counter to prevent accidental tipping.
7. Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug, or
after the appliance malfunctions or is dropped or damaged in any
manner. Call our toll-free customer service number for information
on examination, electrical repair, mechanical repair, or adjustment.
8. The use of accessory attachments not recommended by
Hamilton Beach/Proctor-Silex, Inc. may result in fire, electrical
shock or personal injury.
9. Do not use outdoors.
10. Do not let cord hang over edge of table or counter or touch hot
surfaces, including stove.
11. The carafe is designed for use with this coffeemaker. It must
never be used on a range top or in a microwave oven.
12. Do not set a hot carafe on a wet or cold surface.
13. Do not use a cracked carafe or one with loose or weakened handle.
14. Do not clean carafe with abrasive cleansers or steel wool pads.
15. Be certain carafe lid is securely in place during brew cycle and
when pouring coffee, do not use force when placing lid on carafe.
16. Do not place coffeemaker on or near a hot gas or electric burner
or in a heated oven.
17. To disconnect coffeemaker, turn controls to OFF, then remove
plug from wall outlet.
18. Warning: To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not
remove the bottom cover. No user serviceable parts are inside.
Repair should be done by authorized service personnel only.
19. Do not use appliance for other than intended use.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
840049600 Ev02.qxd 7/24/02 10:52 AM Page 2