Open as PDF
CRADLE 853 2568
977x4 & 978x6
STRAP 853 2569
977x4 & 978x6
WARNING & LIABILITY
Extensive research and design have gone into the Easy Rider carrier and its recommended fits to
ensure the highest level of quality, performance and safety. You are responsible for the safe
attachment and use of the carrier.
Because the attachment of the carrier is beyond the manufacturer's control,
Thule is not responsible for carrier-to-vehicle nor bike to carrier attachment,
nor any incidental or consequential damages that may occur from its
installation or use.
The liability of the manufacturer, as stated in the Thule Warranty, is limited to the replacement of
the merchandise that proves defective in materials and/or workmanship.
■ Certain after-market accessories such as (but not limited to) rear deck racks, spoilers etc. may
alter or prevent the use of the Easy Rider on that particular vehicle.
■ No more than two bicycles should be mounted on the 977 Easy Rider.
■ No more than three bicycles should be mounted on the 978 Easy Rider.
■ The Easy Rider is not recommended for tandems or recumbents.
■ The Easy Rider is not recommended for severe off road use.
■ For safety to passengers, vehicle and carrier, obey all posted speed limits and traffic
cautions. Adapt your speed to road conditions. Be fully aware of the width and height of
your load. Use extreme caution when backing up and going on inclines.
THULE will warranty any carrier and accessories produced by THULE to the original purchaser
for three (3) years from the date of original retail purchase to be free from defects in materials or
Subject to the limitations and exclusions stated below, THULE will remedy defects in materials or
workmanship during the warranty period by repairing or replacing (at THULE's option) defective
component(s) without charge for parts or labor to the original purchaser. The product or part
thereof must be delivered to Thule, at the address shown below, immediately upon discovery of
the claimed defect and there should be no attempt to repair the component(s) prior to its shipment
to Thule. The purchaser will be responsible for the cost of mailing component(s) to the address
listed below, attention Warranty Department.
Exceptions, Exclusions, & Limitations
No warranty is given for failures resulting from conditions beyond THULE's control including, but
not limited to, misuse, overloading, or from failure to assemble and mount the carrier in
accordance with written THULE instructions.
No warranty is given for failures caused by accidents, unlawful vehicle operation, or
defects/inconsistencies in the vehicle upon which the product is installed.
No warranty is given for failures caused by the user's failure to properly secure bike(s)/skis as
recommended by THULE.
Repair or replacement of the defective THULE product is the original purchaser's exclusive remedy
under this warranty.
All consequential and incidental damages are excluded under
Damage to your vehicle, your cargo, or to any other person or property is
Mountings must be completed in accordance with the instructions, Safety Guidelines and the Fit
Claims under any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular
purpose are limited to three years from the date of retail purchase. Proof of
purchase is required.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, or
limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you,
This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary from
state to state.
For information about the THULE Warranty in the U.S.A.
Contact THULE 42 Silvermine Road,
Seymour Connecticut 06483
Attn: Warranty Department
For information about the THULE Warranty in CANADA.
Sport Dinaco Inc, 4330 Joseph Dubreuil,
Lachine, Quebec H8T 3C4 Attn: Warranty Department
1. Place top clips in the gap at the front edge of the top of the trunk, hatch or door.
2. Place lower clips in the bottom edge of trunk or hatch.
3. Set lower clips into vehicle's left and right tow loops under the rear of the vehicle.
4. Set lower clips/hooks into vehicle’s left and right tow loops under the rear of the vehicle.
5. Set lower clips into bottom edge of internal metal bumper.
6. Set lower clips/hooks into frame holes.
7. Set lower clips into bottom edge of rear doors.
8. Set lower clips into frame holes in back of bumper.
9. Set lower clips onto bottom edge of bumper.
10. Set lower clip onto edge of structural bumper located behind plastic bumper.
11. Frame holes are located up high on the backside of bumper.
12. Set lower clips into frame holes in chassis behind bumper.
16. CAUTION: Bumper cover may deform with the use of this carrier. Remove carrier
when not in use.
17. The upper arm of the carrier, between the rubber pads, may come in contact with
the center ridge in the trunk lid when carrier is fully mounted.
18. CAUTION: Lower arm of the carrier will mount against the license plate and the
lights to the left and right of it.
20. Rear doors or hatch must be opened to mount top clips.
21. CAUTION: Rear wiper can not be used when carrier is mounted.
22. Offset carrier to the right.
23. Carrier must be mounted on right or left door, not in between.
24. CAUTION: Rear wiper must be positioned throught the upper arm of the carrier.
25. IMPORTANT: Always check to make sure there is no contact between the lower
straps and the muffler and/or exhaust pipe.
26. CAUTION: The trunk lid may deform slightly with the use of this carrier. Remove
carrier when not in use.
27. Route top strap under the spoiler on top of the hatch.
29. Rubber weather stripping at the top of door/hatch will deform over time with the
use of this carrier. Remove carrier when not in use.
30. Set lower clips into frame holes in bumper located by the right and left bumper strut.
32. Not recommended for Thule three (3) bike carriers.
33. Carrier is not recommended because, lower straps can not be mounted in a safe
34. Carrier is not recommended because, top straps should not be mounted directly to
glass or plastic trim covering glass.
35. Carrier is not recommended because, the vehicle is unable to support the weight at
the point where the carrier must be placed.
36. Carrier is not recommended because, upper arm of carrier could damage trunk lid.
37. Carrier is not recommended because, top straps can not be mounted in a safe
38. Lower arm of Easy Rider will rest in the license plate well or directly on license plate.
39. Lower arm of carrier will rest above license plate well.
40. Lower arm of carrier will rest at bottom of trunk lip.
41. Vehicle not available at time of testing. Please call for update.
42. Set lower clips/hooks on top edge of the metal bumper struts.
Cabriolet No Fit/Aucune adaptation possible 37
'90-94 Corrado 3 1,6,25,32
'89 Fox 4dr/2dr (2 ou 4 portes) 3 1,2,3
'89-92 Golf/GTI 4 1,3,32
'93-96 Golf III 3 1,2,16,32
'89-92 Jetta No Fit/Aucune adaptation possible 35
'93-96 Jetta III 3 1,2
'90-91 Passat sedan (berline) 3 1,3
'92-96 Passat sedan (berline) No Fit/Aucune adaptation possible 33
'90-91 Passat wagon (familiale) 5 1,2
'87-89 Scirocco 4 1,7,21,
'80-91 240/260 sedan (berline) 3 1,9
'85--91 240/260 wagon (familiale) 5 1,9,32
'84-89 740/760 sedan (berline) 3 1,9
'90 740/760 sedan (berline) 3 1,2
'84-96 740/760/960 wagon (familiale) 5 1,2,32
'91-96 740/960 sedan (berline) 3 1,2
'92-96 850 sedan (berline) 3 1,3
'94-96 850 wagon (familiale) No Fit/Aucune adaptation possible 34